Thursday, May 3, 2007

bjork, wow

tried to choose a bjork-appropriate photo from my collection today.
how about 'army of me' for this one? not to say that i am household cleaners.
but these guys always make me think of an approaching army....of household cleaners.


bjork at radio city music hall last night. i can't believe i've lived in new york for over ten years and had yet to see a show there. i've catered events, walked across the big stage wielding bottles of water, yet never so much as seen a rockette dressed as sexy santa kick her leg at radio city music hall. this was so much better.
in principal, last night was a very special date for emre and i, as bjork is one of the few musicians that i can count on my one left hand that emre and i both genuinely enjoy listening to. along with the yeah yeah yeahs and um....is there anyone else?
and naturally, it was a costume night last night. i mean a night where i once more summon my dormant creative ability to put together a fabulous outfit. and who better to honor in this way, than the queen of badass style. i love bjork. i love every funky thing she wears, even and especially when it's a swan to the oscars and everyone hates her for it and thinks it's an offense akin to killing their child. i love her for that. i have no pictures, and descriptions are boring, so it must suffice to say that i looked fabulous, as did bjork. and when i'm in 'costume', yes, i have a big overinflated ego i like to call "junkie confidence". because dressing up is my fixe.
we met miguel and allison, lovely friends who were kind enough to invite us to this show, for a decadent turkish dinner at dervish. as in whirling dervish, those beautiful spinning kind of religious guys lost in trance. kind of a funny name for a posh pre-broadway dinner spot off times square. but emre made no comment other than "oh my god this food is so good!" obviously, not his direct quote--i think he showed his approval by trying to guess the region from where the chef hails.
anyway, perhaps a funny name, but perhaps appropriate before bjork. wouldn't be surprised to see her spontaneously transform into a dervish, a very cute elvin, flailing dervish, and start spinning.
it felt so good to be completely assaulted by her brilliance. let's just say that as a result of that whole music crossover thing with emre and i, i had become completly sick of her and stopped listening in the past couple of years. she's not even on my ipod. but last night it was all fresh and amazing. even the 'oldies' from her first album when she was the same child spirit she is now. she rocked the house. bjork. thank you. wow.

3 comments:

rarey said...

I love "army of me." I was looking at the light shining through my lavender purple dish soap yesterday. Who else notices the way light shines through dish detergent? (I have the coolest kitchen with a window box over the sink.) What a great pic that would be on the wall of my laundry room! Can I buy it???

I'm envious that you saw Bjork. Did people really hate her swan dress? God, it was creative! The academy awards celebrate creative artists. Are they crazy? Yes.

Amy said...

Kitty, the show sounds like it was amazing! I also liked Bjork's swan dress, but do remember the fuss it caused.

I can't believe you have that many cleaning supplies. I'm out of Windex, can I have one?

kitty joe said...

i can't take credit for all of those cleaning supplies! i took this photo at star deli, a polish 'bodega' (deli/convenience store/the best pastries i've tasted in my life) less than a block from my house!