Saturday, July 12, 2008

hoşgeldin yasemin!


this was the scene after dinner last night at midnight--a little kitty joe salad and a little turkish dessert.
four years ago, when i first landed in istanbul, my plane was delayed. by the time i made it to the balik household, it was past one in the morning. i expected to find a dark house, but instead, i walked into dinner just put on the table, everyone waiting to eat. and oh my god, what a dinner! i sat there overwhelmed by the kindness of emre's family and shyly uttered my first heavily practiced words in turkish to emre's mother--eline salik--which means health to your hands--a compliment to the cook.
in this country i am known for my hospitality, yet i could never dream of coming close to the level of spoiling that is showered upon me by my turkish friends. though we begged yasemin to bring nothing for us this time (my entire wardrobe already comes courtesy of the balik family visits) she nonetheless showed up with an enormous suitcase of vacuum packed cheese, olives, turkish delight, porcelain plates, turkish coffee, jewelry, and of course, a trove of uncannily perfectly fitting clothing.
yasemin has this incredible talent (in addition to her acting skills). if i walked into a store and brought these 15 items into the dressing room, maybe 3 of them would fit. yet with yasemin, who hasn't seen me in 4 years, every piece fits like it was tailored to my body. crazy. and the same goes for what she brought for haley. below, she bejewels haley with wedding jewelry, an emerald set.
it was quite a beautiful reunion, the first time yasemin had seen her little brother emir (left) in four years! they're not a bad looking set of siblings....
yasemin casually announced over breakfast that she will be getting her masters degree on full scholarship by a private university that approached her due to her fame on turkish television. i told her she can relax here in new york where she is unknown. it'll be just like when angelina jolie goes to france. totally incognito.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a blast! Love gnome

kim said...

Yasemin looks as beautiful as ever! And, bringing gifts is a nice bonus! Enjoy the visit and say hello from us. Also, I didn't know Emre was rocking the goatie. He looks a little like that Sound Garden singer in this picture.

kitty joe said...

rocking indeed. ahem.

Unknown said...

yayyyy. I might steal that picture and put it on my facebook until you guys send me all the other ones. Don't worry, i'll give you credit like you always do for me!

Amy said...

Have a fabulous visit! I see a strong family resemblence and a very good-looking family, at that! :)