for those of you who are local, bored, and interested in water, this sounds like a really cool event, recommended to me by a friend from school. mostly geared toward kids, but bet kids-at-heart would enjoy just as well. check out the above link or the below words....
JOIN & PARTICIPATE
Earth Celebrations Hudson River Pageant
in partnership with Manhattan Youth
For A Printable Flyer about the Pageant, Click Here
An ecological parade and performance art event, to raise awareness for the restoration of the Hudson River as a vital urban estuarine sanctuary, and address the future effects of climate change on the river and our shoreline in New York City.
The community is invited to participate in a Earth Celebrations ecological art workshop series at Manhattan Youth Downtown Community Center, from February 26 -May 6 creating spectacular giant paper mache puppets and spectacular costumes representing the various species and habitats of the river. The culminating pageant on Saturday, May 9, 2009, 2-5pm, (raindate: Sun. May 10) features a magnificent parade of giant puppets, spectacular costumes, music, dance, performances, songs, and poetry, highlighting the river and issues. The performances are presented at the various piers and significant sites along the parade route, from Manhattan Youth to Gansevoort Street, in the downtown portion of the Hudson River Park.
VOLUNTEER: COMMUNITY, ARTISTS, PUPPETEERS, COSTUME-MAKERS, MUSICIANS, POETS, & DANCERS
* Assist Puppet & Costume Workshops: ( teens & adults )
* Volunteer for behind the scenes event production
* Sign up to be a Hudson River Costume Spirit, or Puppet Volunteer, or Parade Marshal.
* Participate as a musician, poet, dancer, in performance presentation in the pageant and along the parade route.
* Children of all ages join the pageant as mermaids and river creatures & find out about additional workshops & pageant participation opportunities such as Live Fish Release!
* Organizations, schools, community centers, invited to host workshops to create costumes & participate as a local River Species group such as Sea Horses, Oysters, Crabs, & Fish.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED - SIGN UP TO PARTICIPATE IN HUDSON RIVER PAGEANT
To Restore the Hudson River & Address Climate Change in New York City
Volunteers are needed to participate for various roles.
Sign up to:
- Wear a spectacular marine species costume
- Carry a river creature puppet
- Join as a parade marshal directing puppets and volunteers
- help with security and crowd control
- hand out programs & help with mailing list
among many other colorful and exciting tasks!
Call (212) 777-7969 or email@example.com