Saturday, September 22, 2007

little things mean a lot


Blow me a kiss from across the room
Say I look nice when I'm not
Touch my hair as you pass my chair
Little things mean a lot

Give me your arm as we cross the street
Call me at six on the dot
A line a day when you're far away
Little things mean a lot

i wanted to open this post by saying, "patsy cline got it right". but then i looked up the lyrics to this old favorite song from my childhood and found that it was actually recorded by kitty kallen. kitty who? i thought i knew of all the famous kittys. kitty kelley, kitty carlisle-hart, kitty hawk, miss kitty from gunsmoke, hello kitty....interesting. okay, so let's start over.

kitty kallen got it right. hmm. not as powerful. nonetheless, i haven't felt too well this week. kind of a low-grade, underlying, is it stress, depression?, getting sick, i don't know kind of a feeling. one night emre suggested tofu vegetable soup from our very nice, very clean (i know, lucky) chinese take-out place on the corner. i guess it's my equivalent to chicken soup. are they coming out with a 'tofu soup for the soul' collection anytime soon? i hope not.

anyhoo. the soup indeed nursed me nicely. but even nicer was when i later ventured to the kitchen and found this plate of discarded mushrooms on the counter. mushrooms, those vile creatures that contain far too much animal vibe for me to stomach. mushrooms, the vegetarian alternative ALWAYS. mushrooms, oh how i loathe you. so why is my heart swelling with love at the sight of this disgusting fungus?

emre picked the mushrooms out of the soup for me. i don't need much. i don't demand the chocolate and flowers on valentine's day. i don't want the big diamond ring. you picked the mushrooms out of my soup. i love you.

9 comments:

Amy said...

How sweet of Emre! Yuck on the mushrooms, they're disgusting!

EPISTEPHILIA said...

Believe it or not, I love Patsy Cline. When I read your post I immediately thought of these lyrics:

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember 'til you're home again
You belong to me

The song is You Belong to Me. A little possessive yes, but nice all the same.

Thanks for the reminder that love did not die in the 50's.

When's the next plane to Turkey??

EPISTEPHILIA said...

Oh, and I LOVE cooked mushrooms. The raw mushroom thing is gross to me. Mushroom rissotto, pizza, bruschetta...yum yum yum.

Naomi Campbell said...

He's been a sweetie from day 1.

kim said...

Kitty, That picture says it all!

kim said...

Oh--as a fellow vegetarian--(notice use of dashes!) I love mushrooms but hate eggplant--the other vegetarian alternative ALWAYS--now, is this too many dashes??

Naomi Campbell said...

Kitty, "you just haven't had them cooked right". ;-))

Ames said...

mushrooms are the devil... but I know they make lots of people smile...

Anonymous said...

Your post put me in a good mood... I love those lyrics. I have to write them down.