Wednesday, September 12, 2007

sebastopol sky

mid july. i'm standing in the driveway of the house where i grew up. if you run 17 laps around the gravenstein apple trees and swing set it equals a mile. i know because my freshman p.e. teacher instilled in me the fear of flunking if i didn't improve my dismal 15-minute-plus mile. so being the teachers pet that i just can't help being, i measured the driveway, foot by foot, did the math, and then huffed and puffed those 17 laps of gravel every night. still, no matter how hard i tried to be more athletic, i could never quite win her approval. maybe it had something to do with SOMEONE who shares my last name calling her a dyke when she thought she was out of ear shot. maybe that.
but tonight i'm standing out in the driveway just talking with my dad and my sister. i look up and this is the sky i see. same sky that i ran under those nineteen years ago. sunset. cherry plums. old fort that kiyomi and i built. the mailbox that replaced the cherry bombed one on the fourth of july. 1955 ambulance. sunset. cherry plums. old fort that kiyomi and i built. the mailbox that replaced the cherry bombed one on the fourth of july. 1955 ambulance. sunset. cherry plums. old fort that kiyomi and i built. the mailbox that replaced the cherry bombed one on the fourth of july. 1955 ambulance. sunset. cherry plums. old fort that kiyomi and i built. the mailbox that replaced the cherry bombed one on the fourth of july. 1955 ambulance....sigh.

6 comments:

kim said...

Beautiful sky, and nice play on words, and nice play on words, and....

Amy said...

Beautiful sky! I'm sure that the SOMEONE isn't me! :) Sister Christian

abbie said...

hey, you little suck up, it might have been me, but she was a dyke and i know this because amy told me so! and besides, it was the mid-eighties then and gay-rod was no longer part of my vast vocabulary!
and as a foot note , i never got a referral in high school, but sister christian got one for playing grab ass in class and she should have gottten one for imitating "kick his asss" running down the hill between the main bldg and the east wing....HA!

abbie said...

sorry, i meant "kick his butt"

Amy said...

Ya know, between this blog and Abbie's I sound like such a STELLAR person. I can't even imagine what everyone reading it thinks of me... Although, I do get some great laughs remembering these past events!!! Oh yeah, just to clarify, I wasn't playing grab-a**! The teacher had to give us referrals or everyone would think we were the teacher's pets! So there!!! I sure had fun cleaning lockers...NOT! Actually, it was pretty fun spraying Windex in the vent holes!

Amy said...

Forgot to mention that 'kick-his-butt' wasn't at the reunion. I wonder if he's still kicking his butt????? Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! Sister Christian (or Dork, probably fits better!)