Saturday, September 1, 2007

otherwise known as the machine that hypnotizes

again, i'm talking about new jersey. but that's what happens when a city girl hits the 'burbs for a weekend in a parental house. one that gives you towels and food cable and a swimming pool, and doesn't charge you. first you heard about the fat lip, then the tanning salon. i've yet to share some of the other photos i took, but for now, i had to take a moment to marvel over emir's new iphone. i'm one of those people who doesn't care about cell phones, who chooses the free phone with no camera. if i wanted to take a picture, i'd use a real camera! and why spend money on a phone when you can get one for free? okay, so the sound quality may not even rival two tin cans linked together with a piece of yarn, but don't talk to me about your iphone, cause it's stupid to spend money on that kind of blah blah blah......and then i met emir's iphone. how does he get anything accomplished, what with the zooming into satellite images of your childhood home and the checking of imaginary stocks!? and then it takes these great snapshots on this huge screen! so fun.
emir spent the weekend documenting our time in jersey with the iphone and i.m.-ing photos to his cousin in turkey, who inexplicably stayed up all night sharing our epic journey, thanks to emir's fancy new thing.
as you see from our dress, it wasn't a typical august weekend in jersey. in fact, it was chilly rain pouring down most of the time. but that didn't stop us from swimming in the ocean, the swimming pool, and visiting this farm where everyone was dressed in period clothing. and yes, kim, i have seen baby chicks before, but that didn't stop me from talking to them in the squirrel voice. new york does this to you. sorry!
indeed, it was so chilly that emre and emir were outfitted in collegiate gear, courtesy of the kirk household.
of course it wouldn't be jersey without a trip to a silvery diner where you eat cheese fries, onion rings, grilled cheese AND a banana split!
then a ride to the new jersey transit train where you sleep off the grease and magically wake up in penn station.

thank you, haley, for sharing your suburban roots with the rugrats!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I've never even seen an iPhone! And they only work with AT&T which 100% sticks up here in the mountains. I really like my Treo and just saw the updated version at Sprint, too bad mine works just fine! Actually, the ear jack adapter doesn't work...hmmm. No, I'd rather buy camera junk.

kim said...

Love the photos! I especially love the one of you and Emre in the diner. My co-worker has an iphone and it is insane. He showed me Moulin Rouge on it and I forgot I was watching it on a tiny screen--it was amazing.....but part of me is a cheapskate. Therefor, I do not see that purchase in my future.

Anonymous said...

I don't even think I was annoyed on the way to the city - as I seemed to be in picture #7. It must be the i-phone. Yes, the fact that I can't even impress my girlfriend with some fancy technology.