Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a starry night in brooklyn

tuesday, 10 february 2008 barbarabarbara chose to commemorate three major surgeries/accidents of her life each with a big star. the design, as all tattoos do, evolved through a combination of idea and aesthetics, a healthy dose of listening to suggestions and closing ears to others. most relevant in the end (of course in addition to the original idea) became the trademark hand of the artist (boss of mine), who uses these stars in nearly all of his drawings and the felicitous juxtaposition of the brownish stars with the galaxy of freckles already swirling on barbara's arm (click on photo for better view of this phenomenon).
it is fitting that barbara came into my life via her last surgury, for which mieke served as her physical therapist. no, wait! mieke was with her for that last accident! mieke originally was her therapist for the previous injury. and barbara is just one of those people that you want to know--with equal parts listening ear, yarn-spinning tongue and oversized heart. yep, she's a star.

9 comments:

Mieke said...

Awesome pics!! That was such a fun night! We should do something like that soon again ;-)

Amy said...

Great shots! My favorite is the second one where she's smiling down on her stars. :)

kim said...

She has got a great smile–and I love the freckle effect.

Ezra and Mieke said...

Hi Kitty,
Sorry I missed your calls last night!
We were out...
You know how we became followers of eachothers' blogs? Now on the little info that I get about your blog on blogspot homepage I can see Haley's picture (very beautiful btw) but not on your blog?? Weird right?

kitty joe said...

Yes Mieke we should do something like that again soon! Involving eidleweiss maybe? And that is strange about Haley's photo. It's not scheduled to post til next Monday!

Amy- I agree with your pick.

Kim-thought you'd appreciate the freckle effect!

Anonymous said...

I love them both...can't decide...but am quite certain this is my favorite tattoo ever. It's beautiful, especially with the freckles!

kitty joe said...

genie--so glad you like the tattoo! every time you link me on your twitter my lonely little blog doubles in hits!

Sudz said...

I choose the first shot, you can tell she was just looking at the tatoo by how her eyes are looking up at you, and its a better shot of the tattoo. I have to admit, not being a lover of tattoos(old fogie that I am), I love the stars. Especially their subtle color.

Amy said...

Kitty, the deal with Haley's pic is that it's on your Flickr account and we see it on your Flickr 'ad'. Yay, I figured it out! :)